I strategize sustainable solutions in African contexts
I am a consultant who contextualizes problems, highlights the strengths and abilities of team members to ultimately achieve project development goals.
The combination of my work experience and academic study has inculcated my passion for sustainable development, women’s economic inclusion, Africa’s socio-political development, and south-to-south partnerships. In addition to strategy, I have built a formidable skill set in technical and policy writing, communications, management, and project implementation.
I am a former U.S. Diplomat at the Department of State, where I supported engagement with the African Union, including high level visits and credentialing for African diplomats in the United States. My work included numerous internal reporting for three Secretaries of State and interagency coordination with the Departments of Commerce, Agriculture, Defense, Homeland Security, and USAID.
As U.S. Diplomat, I also held the portfolio on multilateral affairs, serving as the point-of-contact for the Assistant Secretary for African Affairs at the United Nations General Assembly in 2016. Prior, I worked in two committees at the U.S. Congress. In the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, I conducted research on Latin America trade flows and assisted with Senate confirmations for Ambassadorial nominees. At the Helsinki Commission, I advocated for U.S.-Europe security issues and supported three congressional delegations to the European Union in Brussels, Belgium.
I earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science at Howard University and later completed a dual Masters in International and Public Affairs at Columbia and Sciences Po Universities. During the graduate program at Sciences Po, I participated in a capstone team, consulting for the French Development Agency and a private microfinance bank in Lagos, Nigeria. The project resulted in a social impact report affecting nearly 2,000 home loan beneficiaries in rural Nigeria.
Before graduate study, I was awarded the Fulbright Fellowship by the U.S. Department of Education to conduct research in Bogota, Colombia. I spent a year working between a local NGO and the National University on research surrounding race, women’s entrepreneurship, and land rights. I co-authored reports on employability strategy for corporate partners and assisted with events.
Advisor for project management and communications
Vice-Consul, U.S. Consulate Johannesburg
• Managed strategic partnerships with recruiters for U.S. temporary work visas
• Processed trade and investments amounting to over 4,000 visas since August 2017
• Deputy Visa-Chief, led technical trainings and supervised four local staff
• Implemented and assisted with Embassy cultural programming on women
Economic Officer, Washington, D.C.
• Managed event planning, logistics, and communications for the Bureau’s participation in the United Nations General Assembly in September 2016, amounting to over 40 engagements in one week
• Coordinated strategy and engagements with British, French, African Union and European Union counterparts for the Assistant Secretary for African Affairs
• Wrote over 20 internal reports and presentations for the Secretary, Deputy Secretary, and other senior officials
• Trained in economic statecraft, Amharic language, and multilateral diplomacy at the Foreign Service Institute
• Worked in a project management team with AFD, Lafarge Construction Company, and LAPO microfinance bank to measure the social impact of the Affordable Housing scheme
• Planned a field mission to Lagos, Nigeria for interviews with key partners and community engagement
• Collaborated to complete a social impact study aimed at securing housing for over 2,000 people in rural Nigeria
• Worked to conduct research for the USAID funded Afro-descendent and Indigenous regional development programs in Cali, Cartagena, and Barranquilla
• Collaborated to design gender empowerment and inclusion proposals focused on gender rights, social impact, and employment expansion
Program Associate and Intern Coordinator
• Worked with a Program Officer to implement 20 State Department Exchange Visitor Programs
• Submitted proposed and final excel budgets, reimbursements, and bills related to assigned projects
• Collaborated with colleagues to increase the organization’s social media presence on Facebook
• Developed training for interns for the Division
• Created the Intern Professional Development Program and other special projects for Interns