Modified 9 Sep 2019
Our privacy obligations
The types of personal information we collect & hold
Personal Information about our users is collected for us to be able to provide our products, services, and customer support. Our products, services, and customer support are made available but not limited to: websites, phone apps, email, and telephone. The specific platform, peculiar programme and product, service or support you engage with may exert influence on the personal data we collect.
How we collect personal information
Information that you specifically give us
Whilst you’re using our products and services, you may be requested to provide some types of personal information. This might happen through our website, applications, online chat systems, telephone, paper forms, or in-person meetings. You will be given a Collection Notice at the time, to explain how we will use the personal information we are asking for. It may be a written notice or verbal notice.
We may request, collect, or process the following information:
- Account Details – name, username, password, profile picture.
- Contact Details – email address, phone number.
- Location Details – physical address, billing address, timezone.
- Identity Details – full name, proof of identity (e.g. drivers licence, passport), proof of address (e.g. utility bill), photograph of the user.
- Financial Information – credit card details, wire transfer details, payment processor details (e.g. skrill, paypal, cryptocurrency), tax numbers.
- User Generated Content – project descriptions and attachments, bid description, user profiles, user reviews, contest descriptions and attachment, user messages etc.
Information that we collect from others
By providing contact details such as email address, Users have the ability to invite non-users to our platform . In these scenarios, the information will be collected and kept by us to contact the non-user and to prevent abuse of the invite systems.
Your payment provider may transfer information about the payment that we may collect or process.
Information we collect as you use our service
Records of the interactions we have with our users are kept, including the products, services and customer support we have provided. This includes the interactions our users have with our platform such as when a user has viewed a page or clicked a button.
We may passively collect your GPS coordinates in order to deliver certain products or services, made available from your device. With modern devices such as smartphones, there will be a display permission request when our platform requests this data.
When we are contacted we may collect personal information that is intrinsic to the communication. For example, if we are contacted via email, we will collect the email address used.
We may collect or process the following information:
- Metadata – IP address, computer and connection information, referring web page, standard web log information, language settings, timezone, etc.
- Device Information – device identifier, device type, device plugins, hardware capabilities, etc.
- Location – GPS position.
- Actions – pages viewed, buttons clicked, time spent viewing, search keywords, etc.
Links to other sites
How we use personal information
Information that we request, collect, and process is essentially used to provide users with the product or service they have requested. More specifically, your personal information may be used for the following purposes:
- to provide the service or product you have requested;
- to provide technical or other support to you;
- to answer enquiries about our services, or to respond to a complaint;
- to promote our other programs, products or services which may be of interest to you (unless you have opted out from such communications);
- to allow for debugging, testing and otherwise operate our platforms;
- to conduct data analysis, research and otherwise build and improve our platforms;
- to comply with legal and regulatory obligations;
- if otherwise permitted or required by law; or
- for other purposes with your consent, unless you withdraw your consent for these purposes.
The ‘lawful processing’ grounds on which we will use personal information about our users are (but are not limited to):
- when a user has given consent;
- when necessary for the performance of a contract to which the user is party;
- processing is necessary for compliance with our legal obligations;
- processing is necessary in order to protect the vital interests of our users or of another natural person.
- processing is done in pursuing our legitimate interests, where these interests do not infringe on the rights of our users.
We use automated decisions when helping matching users to jobs. The fundamental way this happens is through how we rank users. These rankings are made available by analysing user generated content, user activity and the outcome of jobs; in this context, user generated content will include reviews that users receive when completing jobs. Automated decision making is also used to recommend potential jobs to our users and as a part of our marketplace security systems.
When we disclose personal information
Our third party service providers
The personal information of users may be held, transmitted to or processed on our behalf, including ‘in the cloud’, by our third party service providers. Our third party service providers are bound by contract to only use your personal information on our behalf, under our instructions.
Our third party service providers include:
- Cloud hosting, storage, networking and related providers
- SMS providers
- Payment and banking providers
- Marketing and analytics providers
- Security providers
Third party applications
Other disclosures and transfers
We may also disclose your personal information to third parties for the following purposes:
- if necessary to provide the service or product you have requested;
- we receive court orders, subpoenas or other requests for information by law enforcement;
- if otherwise permitted or required by law; or
- for other purposes with your consent.
As we are a global company, with offices around the world, your personal information may be processed by staff in any of our offices. AfriBlocks currently has offices in Zimbabwe, South Africa & USA.
Accessing, correcting, or downloading your personal information
You have the right to request access to the personal information AfriBlocks holds about you. You are allowed to see the personal information we hold about you, within a reasonable period of time and without unreasonable expense for no charge, unless an exception applies.
By logging into your account, you can access most of your personal information. Contact our administrator If you wish to access information that is not accessible through the platform, or if you wish to download all personal information we hold for you in a portable data format.
You also have the right to request for the amendment of the personal information we have about you. All your personal information can be updated through the user settings pages. If you require assistance please contact our customer support.
Exercising your other rights
You have a number of other rights in relation to the personal data AfriBlocks. holds about you. However, there may be limitations on how you may exercise these rights. This is mainly because of the nature of the products and services we provide. Most of the data we collect is in order to facilitate contracts between users, facilitate payments, and provide protection for the legitimate users of our marketplace – these data uses are protected against the below rights.
You have the right to:
- seek human review of automated decision-making or profiling
- opt-out of direct marketing, and profiling for marketing
- temporary restriction of processing.
Human review of automated decision making / profiling – In the case of our ranking algorithms, it is not possible to exercise this right as this ranking is an essential part of the marketplace that users engage in, opting out would mean not being able to partake in the marketplace. Decisions affecting marketplace security are already reviewed by humans.
Direct marketing and profiling – users can control what emails they receive through their settings page.
Erasure – Most personal information and user generated content cannot be deleted as they are used to support contracts between users, document financial transactions, and are used in aiding the protection of other legitimate users of the marketplace. In the case of non-personal data that can be linked with personal data, it will either be erased or otherwise anonymised from the personal data.
Temporary restriction to processing – you may exercise this right under certain circumstances, in particular, if you believe that the personal data we have is not accurate or you are of the opinion that we do not have legitimate grounds for processing your information. In either case you may exercise this right by contacting our administrator.
Unless stated above, users may exercise any of the above rights by contacting our administrator.
To contact our administrator
If you have an enquiry or a query about how your personal information is handled or if you seek to exercise your privacy rights in connection to the personal information we hold about you, you may contact our administrator as follows:
For the purposes of the GDPR, our administrator is also our Data Protection Officer (DPO).
Although we undertake to rectify complaints quickly and informally, should you wish to proceed with a formal privacy complaint, we request that you write your complaint to our administrator, by mail or email as above. We will acknowledge your formal complaint within 10 working days of receipt.